[CentOS] drop manitu.net

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Thu Aug 11 02:36:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 03:08:46AM +0100, Always Learning wrote:

> Why not run your own mail server ? I use Exim (a Sendmail replacement)
> on several servers. I refuse incoming mails where the sender's HELO /
> EHLO does not match the sender's IP host name, because that - for me -
> eliminates 90% or more of spam and I absolutely detest spam.

Not everyone is in a position to run their own server.  Nor should
people be required to do so if they don't care to take on the burden of
doing so.

> Discardable sub-domain names for mailing list subscriptions also helps.
> (currently on my third change for this list ... u61)

Why?  I've been on this list for years all using the same address, which
I might add is the same address I have been using since the late 80s.

> Having spare domains, control over the DNS and assigning unique email
> addresses for different purposes means you can simply bloke a
> compromised email address whilst continuing to receive emails from
> everyone else.  I've been doing this for about 10 years with great
> success.

Waste of time and resources.  Learn how to properly handle email and
none of this nonsense is necessary.

> Spam is a USA invention created by someone called Wallace? about 15?
> years ago. It is now a world-wide pest.

The question marks indicate that you indeed don't know what you are
talking about.

> No Centos fan should have to depend on other's email services for daily
> communications, so do consider operating your own mail server.

Can you please stop with the sweeping statements that are without merit until
you fully understand the problem at hand?

							John
--
Simply put, it's time.  Time for me.  And time for Chicago to move on.

-- Richard M. Daley, mayor of Chicago since 1989, announcing that he
   would not seek re-election, New York Times, 8 September 2010