[CentOS] OT: headless fanless silent 2 HDs micro server/pc...

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Aug 11 11:13:51 UTC 2011

Am Thu, 11 Aug 2011 03:38:10 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>:

> From: Digimer <linux at alteeve.com>
>
> > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009.html
>
> It looks quite nice, although a tiny bit too big for me (no real need
> the room for 4 HDs + 1 HD or DVD). Saw that one guy was able to
> install a Smart Array P410 with 512MB BBC too (too bad the drives are
> not hot-plug). And there is a remote management optional card (if it
> fits along the P410) which is great since I have no monitor at home.
> Just wondering how noisy 23dbs are... I tend to be very sensitive to
> noise, especially at night.

If you sleep next to it and it is too noisy, chance are you don't need
it and can switch it off at night ;-)
I assume, with SSDs instead of HDs, it will be even more silent.

My ALIX is only noiseless and fanless because it uses a CF as storage.
With a full HD, I doubt I could run it fanless (and at 5W)...