[CentOS] drop manitu.net

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 11 11:48:54 UTC 2011

Paul,

Always Learning wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 17:10 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> listadmin,
>>
>>    Can you PLEASE, PLEASE find *any* other blacklist than manitu? This
>> asshole's method was ok a dozen years ago; these days, with hosting sites
>> hosting tens or hundreds of thousands of domains, with too many running
>> Windows, and so infected and sending out spam. They then send all mail via
>> one mailhost, with the result that those of us with *no* spam coming out
>> are frequently blocked.
>>
>>     This ain't the first time for me with this jerk, either. A few years
>> ago, Cogeco in Canada was using him, and on and off for *months* I was
>> blocked from exchanging email with an old friend... because I was
>> mailing from Roadrunner in Chicago (hosting hundreds of thousands of
>> households), until my friend dropped Cogeco.
<snip>
> Why not run your own mail server ? I use Exim (a Sendmail replacement)

Because I'm not going to pay for colocation, or whatever. This is my
personal domain, etc, and I'm paying about $6US for it a month. I'm not
running a business, and so don't want to pay $$$ to Verizon for a
business line.
<snip>

> Spam is a USA invention created by someone called Wallace? about 15?
> years ago. It is now a world-wide pest.

Ah, yes. I think you're thinking of the Green Card Scam, from Cantor and
Siegal. Yes, I was on usenet then.... "There's no such thing as
community, this is just a marketing opportunity".

	mark

--
If wealth == power and if power corrupts, and absolute power
corrupts absolutely, what is the effect of monopolies and