[CentOS] drop manitu.net

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 11 13:46:22 UTC 2011

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> we block with manitu = nixspam as our primary RBL (followed by Spamhaus).
> Results are excellent. Their blocking is very reasonable. It's also
> possible to ask for inclusion in the whitelist. Obviously your great ISP
> Roadrunner isn't interested in inclusion or is sending out so many spam
> that they won't include it. Ask Roadrunner.

I'm sorry, nobody seems to get what I've been saying: I haven't been on
roadrunner for two years. I'm sending this email via bluehost, my current
hosting provider. Also, with these giant ISP/hosting services, trying to
get them to do something for me, that's one vs. MegaGiantCo, w/ layers
upon layers of managers and policy, is nearly impossible.

I can try emailing Bluehost, but...

> Actually, Roadrunner has been known for years for big spam amounts
> originating from their network. I set it independently on our ACL for all
> mail servers years ago (not their whole IP range but all hosts matching
> their internet access assignment scheme).

AND THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE between you and manitu.net. You're not going for
their whole IP range, which seems to be what manitu is doing.

> So, what you ask for is supporting one of the biggest spam output
> machinaries (besides Chinese ISPs) on the net. Thanks, no.

Well, except that means that a lot of people are in the boat the way I
would have been, had I been on this list two years ago. My choice, where I
was living in Chicago, for 'Net access was a) Comcast (*GAG*), AT&T, or
roadrunner. Great choice... and rr was the best, most reliable, and
cheapest.

>> Because I'm not going to pay for colocation, or whatever.
>
> Well, you are sending via monsterhost.com/bluehost.com which doesn't seem
> to belong to Roadrunner. So, what's your problem?

Again, I haven't been with rr for two years. My current hosting provider,
Bluehosts, is is telling me that I was banned.

Also, again, it isn't just me. What was it, earlier this year? late last
year? one or two other folks were complaining, when they could *finally*
post again, that they'd been banned.

        mark
            mark