[CentOS] drop manitu.net

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 11 18:12:03 UTC 2011

Josh Miller wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 10:56 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> ----
>>> Not sure who it is that doesn't understand the issues.
>>>
>>> If an RBL has designated a particular SMTP server or range of SMTP
>>> servers as a source for spam then the solution lies with those
>>> that own the SMTP
>>> servers to satisfy the RBL and get the blocks removed.
>>>
>>> Yes, some RBL's are more aggressive than others but the notion that it
>>> blocks EVERY EMAIL FROM EVERY DOMAIN is exactly what RBL's are supposed
<snip>
>> And that's *EXACTLY* what I'm saying is the wrong thing to do. Dunno
>> where you live, but go ahead, for whoever provides 'Net access to your
>> home: call them up, or email them, and tell them to contact manitu,
>> and to request that manitu put them on a whitelist.
>>
>> Let me know when they get back to you. I'll look for your email sometime
>> around the time when you move and change providers.
>
> In fact, that is one of the single most effective mechanisms used to
> combat spam, in my experience and will cut down the amount accepted at
> the gateway(s) by up to 95%.

I'm not sure who you're answering or agreeing with, but my point is still
that 90% of everybody blocked has no clue whatever about what to do about
it, and esp. the people with infected systems. A standard channel *to* an
ISP for this kind of technical issue - either the ISP notifying the
spammer that their machine needs to be cleaned before they'll be allowed
back online, or between ISP, would do something useful. But I doubt very
much that most of those 90% of users who are *not* spammers, nor infected,
would have any idea to complain to their ISP that something needed to be
done, and so the ISP goes on thinking there's no problem. The result that
*I* see from that is that people simply drop, or change services, and
nothing gets fixed.
<snip>
         mark