[CentOS] smartd and palimpsest

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Aug 12 04:24:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 04:05:47 +0000
Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> I think you misunderstood the first reply: smartd, as in the init script is a
> means to alert root of pending issues, _it_ doesn't present the data, _that_
> init script simply checks it and reports it. You don't need it running to
> make the data available, the attributes exist in the device.

Which still doesn't answer my question.  Perhaps I'm wording it poorly -- I'll
try again:

I load palimpsest and click on the entry for my hard drive, then click on the
button labelled "SMART Data" and I see this on the first line of the window
that opens:

Updated: 14 minutes ago

My question is, what happened 14 minutes ago?  I didn't do anything 14 minutes
ago, so something apparently ran in the background and updated that data.  What
is that something and how often does it run?