[CentOS] SAS storage arrays, C6, and SES lights

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Tue Aug 16 07:59:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:19:17AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/15/11 3:31 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Afaik the LEDs won't work out-of-the-box.
> >
> > There's no daemon currently in Linux responsible for monitoring disk status
> > and lighting up SES LEDs accordingly..
>
> yikes.   thats pretty amateur.   I thought Linux was better than that.
>
> I've found some man pages for sg_ses, which appears to be a util for
> querying and commanding the SES, including turning the lights on and off.

Yep.. you could (would) use sg_ses as a part of the solution.

.. but there's more than that. If you get IO errors from some disk,
you need to figure out on which backplane slot that disk is,
and only then you can light up the LED..

ie. you need a daemon/tool that monitors status of disks,
and keeps the Linux disk <-> ses slot mapping up-to-date.

-- Pasi