[CentOS] OT?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Tue Aug 16 22:56:38 UTC 2011

Quoting Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>:

> On 09/08/11 05:33, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> I have a CentOS server with postfix running. A pop user's account was
>> compromised and a lot of spam started being sent. My upstream ISP's
>> mail program started refusing to talk to me because of the very high
>> rate of mail, error 451. I disabled the compromised account. I then
>> changed the postfix settings to deliver mail directly and flushed the
>> mail queue. This resulted in spam being sent out.
>>
>> There were about 20K mails in the queue. I don't know how I might have
>> handled this better, I would have preferred to not send the spam, but
>> the volume was large and the labour of sorting out spam from legit
>> email was prohibitive.
>>
>> Advice? A better list for this issue perhaps?
>>

> man postsuper gives solutions to deleting the queued spam rather than
> dumping the problem onto the rest of the Internet.
>
> Why didn't you ask for advice _before_ spewing another 20K spam onto the
> rest of us?

well basically it was late at night and I was very tired, not the best
decision making time. I accept the criticism and will follow up as you
suggest.

Not by any means 20k spams. I manually deleted about 2K mails and many
of the rest were normal list traffic.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
   Krishnamurti