[CentOS] OpenLDAP setup and bootstraping in CentOS 6

Mitch Patenaude

mpatenaude at shutterfly.com
Wed Aug 17 19:03:28 UTC 2011

I'm having trouble getting openldap through its initial setup.

I created a /etc/openldap/slap.conf file with a default rootdn and rootpw, and they didn't seem to take effect.  After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I found that if there is a config directory at /etc/openldap/slapd.d, it will ignore slapd.conf.  I can't figure out how to translate slapd.conf into the (new?) standard of slapd.d because all the examples I can find still use slapd.conf.

Am I better off just deleting (or renaming) slapd.d?  Does anybody know the proper format for slapd.d entries?

Thanks,
   -- Mitch Patenaude