[CentOS] OpenLDAP setup and bootstraping in CentOS 6

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Wed Aug 17 21:28:39 UTC 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Mitch Patenaude wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting openldap through its initial setup.
>
> I created a /etc/openldap/slap.conf file with a default rootdn and rootpw, and they didn't seem to take effect.  After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I found that if there is a config directory at /etc/openldap/slapd.d, it will ignore slapd.conf.  I can't figure out how to translate slapd.conf into the (new?) standard of slapd.d because all the examples I can find still use slapd.conf.
>
> Am I better off just deleting (or renaming) slapd.d?  Does anybody know the proper format for slapd.d entries?
----
presuming what you are referring to is dynamic configuration - flat files are not used any more.

Haven't tried with CentOS 6 because I switched my newer setups to Ubuntu but Ubuntu 10.04 also uses dynamic configuration methods and if that is the case...

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf is meaningless - at least in Ubuntu

renaming or deleting /etc/openldap/slapd.d would be a self-defeating act... that's where the results of dynamic configuration will end up.

start over, baby steps... script everything you do so it's repeatable

start by adding your schema's

then define the backend

then define the base

then define your ACL's