[CentOS] which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Aug 18 19:34:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/18/2011 2:15 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> First question is:
>>>
>>> (a) how can you get the IP address ?
>>
>> I don't fully understand your question?
>> How do you get any IP address from any machine that connects to a
>> server on the internet? netstat shows the IP's,
>
> You said 'user' which may or may not map to a consistent, single, IP
> address.

well, a 'user' is anyone accessing the server from the internet, so
the IP's will change the whole time.

>> /var/log/http/access.log shows the IP's and I'm sure it's listed in
>> other places as well.
>
> Are these web browser clients, locally attached PCs, or what?

web / SQL / SMTP / POP3 clients, connecting from the internet.

>> We currently use ntop to monitor the server's usage, but there's no
>> way to automatically block an abusive IP.
>
> What's 'abusive'?  If they are using a web app, let the app monitor the
> connection of a logged in user and handle them appropriately.

yes, but no monitor can block their IP, that I'm aware of.

>> Ideally I would like to get a dedicated firewall, or dedicated Linux /
>> UNIX firewall appliance for this purpose as it needs to monitor and
>> protect a whole bunch of servers
>
> A separate box won't know what is going on.  Suppose you have a remote
> mail server relaying in or out for a large number of users.  The
> intermediate box will see a lot of smtp traffic to/from one IP, but it
> will correspond to a lot of users.  Likewise for web users behind a
> company proxy.

For this very reason I need to exclude certain IP's from the limits.