[CentOS] which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Aug 18 19:56:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Mike <mike at microdel.org> wrote:

>>> So I'm not sure I fully understand your requirements.  Why isn't slowing
>>> the user to zero or at least near zero sufficient?
>>
>> How do I slow one user down, without affecting the others?
>> The way I understand rate limiting is that you rate limit a certain
>> protocol / port, or IP / IP range.
>>
>> So, how would I automatically slow down someone (on any IP address,
>> and accessing any protocol) once he hits a certain threshold / limit?
>>

> I think I understand now and the short answer is that you can't!  In other
> words you're saying that say "Steve" is using a ton of bandwidth so you want
> to block him.  But "Fred" and 10 other users that may be at the same IP
> address are fine and you don't want to block them.  I mean you could
> conceptually at least block the IP/Source port that "Steve" is "coming from"
> right now.  But the source port (and perhaps IP) will eventually change and
> your block is now useless.

No, not quite.

Steve will have a different IP from Fred. I don't care so much about
the users as such, but rather the IP where the connection is from, and
to.
i.e. I don't need to know what the user's name is, nor match him to a
DB like LDAP or something. I purely need to block an abusive IP.

BUT, if Steve changes his IP to circumvent the block, then his new IP
should be blocked as well.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers