[CentOS] PHP 5.3: IUS vs CentOS repos

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Aug 20 11:43:37 UTC 2011

> On 08/19/11 10:51 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 04:25:28PM +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> >> In what way did TUV break php?
> > The package supplies "php53" and not "php" - while this may arguably be
> > correct in some situations it is not the case across the board and
> > causes dep issues with some packaged php scripts.
>
> the postgres updates managed to solve similar problems by providing a
> compat-postgresql-libs package which satisfies dependencies for earlier
> versions.
>
> perhaps something like this could act as a glue between php and php53

Different issues.  php53 *replaces* php.  I did this on both a A CentOS
4 and two CentOS 5 machines.  Mostly painless -- just needed to

'yum remove php...'

THEN

'yum install php53...'

(I did some magic with rpm -qa php\* & sed to get the proper list of
stuff to remove and then install.)

I did need to rebuild one package from a source RPM on one machine (and
I ended up not needing it after all -- the code that need it 'evolved' in
a different direction).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com