[CentOS] Fedora and CentOS no longer on speaking terms

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 16:58:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

> Hi, John.  That sounds really useful, particularly on the netbook where I have
> to remember to disable the mounts before travelling.  The only problem is, I
> don't know how to do that.  Can you either describe it to me or point me to
> suitable reading?  Thanks

Basically the automounter will just step in and mount things when you try to
access files within the directory.

http://www.linux-consulting.com/Amd_AutoFS/autofs.html

That probably tells you everything you need, but I'll just note the basics.

Basically you can have:

/etc/auto.master:

/remote /etc/auto.remote

/etc/auto.remote:

somemount -rw,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,udp nfsserver:/blah/blah
someothermount -rw,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,udp nfsserver:/foo/foo

chkconfig autofs on
service autofs start

Then you should be able to do:

cd /remote/somemount

When you do that, autofs will mount the share.

There's a lot more you can do, you really do need to read the documentation.
Executable automount maps and ldap based maps really give you a lot of
flexibility on how you can use it, but you probably need something very
simple.

jh