[CentOS] Apache Changing IPtables C 5.6 via Apache

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Sun Aug 21 13:00:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 05:46:18AM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> What you seem to want to do is to block host access (TCP possibly UDP)
> based upon certain GET/POST activities on your web server. Thus you are
> attempting to create a curtain based upon things that have already
> failed and eventually you will get a huge IPTABLES filter that will slow
> up all traffic while parsing the rules. I would suspect that this would

fail2ban handles rule expiration; firewall rules can be configured as
the admin sees fit for the offending action.  In fact each trigger can
have a configurable lifetime.  fail2ban also ships with working apache
triggers, for example there is one that triggers off of failed auth
attempts; these can be modified to fit the OP's needs with minimal work.

> You should spend the time protecting the server with good system
> administration... SELinux, which you state 'you are not using at the
> moment' is a prime example.

There is little excuse in not having selinux enabled.  Every hacked box
we've seen in #centos for the past few years has had selinux disabled;
not one that I've seen reported had it enabled.

> The security issues you should be worrying about are not the things that
> are getting logged - that's just a record of things that already didn't
> work.

True, but blocking automated 5cr1p7-k1dd135 probes will reduce log
volume and potentially protect you from probes further down the scan
chain that haven't hit yet that you may be vulnerable to.

							John
--
We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once.

-- Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), 30th president of the United States