[CentOS] Not receiving root mail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:37:47 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 23 Aug 2011 Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 8/23/11 3:51 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain, xxx.lan,
> >> xxx.org
> >
> > This morning I restored the old main.cf, which uses the old network
> > settings of xxx.net.  Now mail is being received, but sending mail is
> > being refused by my server.  I have two sending profiles - one that
> > sends to the server (CentOS 6), which then should use
> > /etc/postfix/transport to separate local mail and external mail,
> > sending the external mail to the ISP's smtp server.  The second
> > profile is googlemail smtp, used when I'm away from home.
> >
> > Whichever I try to use I get a message that my mail server has refused
> > the connection.  I'm still trying to work out why.  It sounds like
> > authentication problem, but I can't see why it's happening.
>
> Unless the next hop requires smtp authentication, the likely reason is that
> the 'From: ' address doesn't have a DNS-resolvable domain name.

Hi, Les.  Another "old friend" :-)

FWIW, I found that the right combination in main.cf was to set myhost to the
local name, borg.xxx.lan and mydomain to one of my owned domains, xxx.net, as
it was on the old server.  Adding a couple of lines to transport (re-hashed,
of course) now gives me internal mail when addressed to anne at xxx.net or
anne at xxx.lan, and external mail when addressed any other way.  Perfect.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Anne