[CentOS] OT: Hardware upgrade help

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Wed Aug 24 01:04:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 20:57 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> .... The machines I have now have been rock
> solid and I bought them used. They are like me, old.

Just because something is old, one shouldn't automatically thrown it
away :-)

You need to do a little on-line reading about USB (the effective
replacement for Centronics (parallel) ports and RS232/RS423 serial
ports. Also about the PCI replacement called PCI-Express.

The older ISA (now called PATA = Parallel ATA) has been replaced by SATA
(Serial ATA). SATA has 3 speeds. Most new disks are either SATA 2 or
SATA 3 speed.

Modern motherboards have on-board networking (Ethernet) and sound chips
which replace the plug-in cards.

It is an exciting world out there, even if a little confusing with all
the non-stop modern technology and new names to learn.

Why get second hand when new can be brought for little money, if you
hunt-down a bargain. That is what I always do.

Centos 6.1 should be out soon so you can have a fresh start.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,