[CentOS] UPS issues with PFC PSU

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Aug 25 15:14:37 UTC 2011

On 8/25/2011 10:25 AM, Blake Hudson wrote:
> We have used several CyberPower sine-wave, AVR UPS units in our server
> room - AVR1500, I believe. The cyber power monitoring app that comes
> with the UPS (also available on the site) works fine in Redhat Linux,
> though we don't use it, and I have not tested it in a few years (last
> version was probably RH5). However, we have not found them to be 100%
> reliable. We use them with a mix of equipment from different vendors.
> While the units work fine when tested, in production they sometimes do
> not switch fast/early enough and we have experienced several equipment
> reboots due to this. We have tightened the thresholds in the
> CyberPower control software so that the UPS will kick in more
> frequently, but the adjustments are pretty limited. Because of this,
> we have moved the units to non-critical equipment or equipment that is
> protected by a redundant power source through an APC UPS. We've since
> stopped buying the units for server use, but may consider them for
> desktop use. --Blake

I haven't used CyberPower UPS's in the office (currently all variations
of the APC Smart-UPS), however, I do have three basic CyberPower's at
home.  One for my computer and the networking equipment, one for my
wife's computer, and one for the DVR and other electronics.  I have been
using them for a few years now and have yet to have a problem.

--
Bowie