[CentOS] Centos 6: howto install and run KDE

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Thu Aug 25 19:42:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Centos 6: howto install and run KDE
>
> On my laptop, I have not been able to get KDE to run; I
> always get gnome.  I installed selecting KDE, and I tried
> yum groupinstall, which appeared to work, but I still get
> gnome running.  BTW, I boot to level 3, and run startx.

Hello Michael. That's what I do - boot to runlevel 3, then
run startx. I use switchdesk to choose between running
Gnome, KDE, or XFCE. Just pass the desktop name as a
parameter to switchdesk and then run startx, to start that
chosen desktop.

Name       : switchdesk
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 4.0.8
Release    : 6
Size       : 7.6 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : A desktop environment switcher for GNOME, KDE
and AnotherLevel.
License    : GPL
users to easily
            : switch between various desktop environments
that they have
            : installed.  The tool includes support for KDE,
GNOME, XFce4 and
            : twm.
            :
            : Support for different environments on different
computers is
            : available, as well as support for setting a
global default
            : environment.
            :
            : Install switchdesk if you need a tool for
switching between
            : desktop environments.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts