[CentOS] new memory not getting regonized

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Fri Aug 26 12:29:33 UTC 2011

On 08/26/2011 12:51 PM, benedict dcunha wrote:
> Thanks Leonard,
> Thanks for the immedite reply . apprecite.
> actually many post s say the PAE kernel required for addressing more than 4
> gb ram . but since my server already detects 32 gb ram , detecting 64 also
> should not be an issue..

"many posts say" a lot of things. Either these posts are specifically
talking about 32bit systems or they are wrong.
With a 32bit integer you can only address 4gb of ram so a hack was devised
to make it possible go beyond that limit called PAE.
Since with 64bit you no longer have that problem PAE doesn't exist on a
64bit system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

> but just wondering why??.

No idea but it has nothing to do with PAE. Can you post the output of "xm
info"?

Regards,
   Dennis