[CentOS] CentOS 6: add icon to desktop

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:43:09 UTC 2011

On Friday 26 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my old CentOS 5 KDE, if I add a link to ~/Desktop, it
> appears on the desktop as an icon.  But on my new CentOS 6
> KDE, this does not work.

The reason is that Desktop is quite simply a directory - remember how it fits
into the file system tree.  KDE 3.x made a special case of that directory,
making everything in it visible on your workspace.  The default in KDE 4.x is
not so.

> How can I make it work?

Two things you can do, depending on how you like to work.

a)  Right-click on an open space on your desktop.  You will see that it is set
to Type: Desktop.  This is intended to stay a clean, empty desktop, apart from
any widgets that you choose to add.  If you change the type to Folderview it
will in fact show the contents of ~/Desktop - looking exactly like your old
view.

b) If you like a clean desktop, but miss the easy access to shortcuts, etc.,
you can add a Folderview widget.  Initially it is rather big and points to ~/
  If you hover over a folderview you will see a 'handle' or 'toolbox' appear.
The top icon allows you to resize it - you can also resize the icons within it
by mouse-scrolling.  The second icon is for rotation - most people don't use
that.  The next icon opens the Settings menu - and there you can change the
directory that the folderview points to - if you use remote directories that
is very useful.

You will find many changes explained in UserBase, but I'd recommend that you
start with http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma - and the other section I'd really
recommend that you read early is the Dolphin pages, particularly
http://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin/File_Management

HTH

Anne