[CentOS] Apache warns Web server admins of DoS attack tool

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Fri Aug 26 17:15:48 UTC 2011

On Aug 26, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 10:59 -0400, John Hinton wrote:
>
>> .... To me, the use of this includes directory is simply
>> good practice for multiple reasons. On this list, teaching best
>> 'standard' practices is a good idea. Who is going to think to tell
>> someone to go look in /data/config/apache for a configuration two
>> years from now when something breaks due to following non-standard
>> practices?
>
> Unlike some other installations everything is documented, so everyone
> knows.  Keeping information a secret from other workers is not practised
> here.
>
> Apache creates a default set-up. Default for those who need something
> which 'works out of the box'. Apache then gives the creative person the
> facilities to experiment and, as you illustrated, the ability to
> minimise collateral disruption when something goes wrong when changing
> files (like the mouse wheel button pasting copied text into unwanted
> places).
>
> Everything in, for example /data, is entire operating system
> independent. Simple. The operating system dependant parts of Apache are
> in the /etc /usr and /var directories, so they can be updated with other
> operating system revisions. Remember the /etc /usr /var directories are
> operating system directories, so we keep non-operating system items out
> of them.
>
> If I wanted to move everything to another operating system, for example
> Solaris or BCD, everything in /data will work on the new operating
> system without changes ! Just needs a few quick changes to the operating
> system configuration files. Simple, Easy and Reliable.
>
> An English saying is: "Rules were made for the guidance of wise men but
> for the obedience of fools".  Naturally I am not implying, nor would I,
> that anyone on this list are in the latter category. However I believe
> that saying makes a valid point.
>
> Once upon a time people were killed for believing the world was not flat
> and if one sailed far enough their ship would drop-off the edge of the
> world. Blind and unthinking obedience and the intellectual inability to
> question and experiment are not conducive to the successful development
> and using of computers.
>
> Please note I do not teach on here. I've already got a large
> workload :-)
>
> Best regards,
----
oy - no wonder you turn off selinux - you are determined to re-engineer things that were designed with logic and intent.

Perhaps you should use some other non-redhat type of distribution (debian/ubuntu) to get a feel for the fact that there actually is intelligent ways to plan out configuration files and gasp, in /etc/

Craig