[CentOS] Apache warns Web server admins of DoS attack tool

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Aug 26 20:12:18 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:19 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> If you and the rest of your
>> team go out to lunch, and are killed by food poisoning, or an
>> out-of-control senior citizen, anyone walking in will take a good bit
>> longer to find where all versions of *Nix normally put their
>> configuration files, ain't. And you *are* customizing /etc/httpd
> /conf/httpd.conf.
>
> We have D-O-C-U-M-E-N-T-A-T-I-O-N which remains behind we we go home, go
> to lunch and go on holiday.

Right. And you have a 100% confidence level that it will a) *always* be up
to date, b) available, and c) actually readable....
<http://24.5-cent.us/http://24.5-cent.us/egoless_documentation.doc> We'll
ignore the old Dilbert where, was it Dogbert or Dilbert, who stood on a
chair, with their head over the top of the cube farm, and yelled out, "HAS
ANYONE RTFM?!", and got no answers....

>> I stay with std. practice, as much as I can.
>
> I do too but where there are multiple servers using almost the same
> setup, the changeable bits are 'included' and kept in individual files.
>
>> I slept with Frisch's Essential Systems Administration. from
>> O'Reilly.
>
> I'll have a look but I prefer to sleep with someone who is warm and
> cuddly. Not sure a book is an adequate substitute however interesting
> the text may be :-)

I did say that was in addition to my ...late... wife.

>> Oh, and php *certainly* requires configuration.
>
> Can't remember what I changed in /etc if I changed it.

Oh, no, it used to be worse - I'd have to edit the sucker down in, where
was it, /usr/lib/php, or /usr/local/lib/php?

       mark