[CentOS] Apache warns Web server admins of DoS attack tool

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Aug 26 22:38:16 UTC 2011

On 08/26/11 2:16 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> And, of course, IBM really, *really wants folks to use Linux. I mean, if
> *you*  were Big Blue, would you want to support, uh,
> sys38/4000/RISC6000/AIX/"DOS/VSE/SP/<whatever letters in the last 15
> years)>/MVS/zOS... or just Linux? (You've grown your business, and need a
> bigger machine? Great! Here's the next large box, just throw it on, maybe
> just recompile, and no porting needed!)

they still push z/OS (the descendent of OS/370) as a primary mainframe
OS for large scale database and batch processing, and AIX on Power
servers for big database servers and such.    Linux still has vertical
scaling issues for larger workloads, and transaction processing doesn't
scale well horizontally without massive complications.

System/38 long ago (late 1980s) gave way to AS/400 which is now IBM i
(aka i5/OS), and runs on the same Power servers as AIX, either
virtualized or whole-iron.   RS/6000 long ago was renamed pSeries or
Power, and is hardware, which runs AIX, i, and Linux.

but, i don't believe CentOS runs on Z (descendent of System/370) or
Power (also known as PowerPC) architectures, so this is all off topic.