[CentOS] Update to CentOS 6.0 without CD/DVD reader

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Aug 28 18:55:46 UTC 2011

On 08/28/11 6:52 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Now I'm wondering what is the best way to install CentOS-6,
> given that there is no CD/DVD driver on this machine.
>
> I have access to the internet, so I can download the CD/DVD .
> I know I could install through a USB stick;
> I'm just wondering if there is a more direct route.

A) PXE boot and do a network installation aka kickstart.   This would,
of course, require another 'nix system on the LAN running DHCP, TFTP,
and NFS

B) boot a USB stick with the Netinstall image, and point it at a http
URL of the centos repository, which could be either a local mirror or
one on the internet somewhere as long as your internet is reasonably
fast and stable.  I'd suggest doing a bare minimal install this way,
then adding other stuff post-install with yum.