[CentOS] (c 5.6) Running 2 versions of Apache ?

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon Aug 29 16:26:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 05:23:24PM +0100, Always Learning wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 09:13 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>
> > First, this sounds like a messy way to do it... spinning up another
> > OS instance with the appropriate version of Apache you are after sounds
> > cleaner...
>
> I have a spare server but I want to use an under-utilised one.

I was thinking virtualization (Xen or an OpenVZ style might be
appropriate).

> > As long as you keep your various Apache installs from stepping on each
> > other (where the binaries, logs, configs live, etc), you just need to
> > make sure they're binding to mutually exclusive IP/port pairs.  The
> > "Listen" directive is likely what you're after here.
>
> That's what I am currently browsing Google for.
>
> Can the 'Listen 1.2.3.4:80' statement be inside a Virtual Host section ?
>
> Does the 'NameVirtualHost' statement affect every Virtual Host until the
> next encounter of it, IP that is ?
>
> If I don't get an answer I'll probably experiment.

Listen should be used in the global configuration.  So, for example
your 2.2 configuration file listens on 1.2.3.4:80:

  Listen 1.2.3.4:80
  NameVirtualhost 1.2.3.4:80

And you have an Apache 2.3.x instance with a separate config file
listening on either a different IP or a different port on the initial
IP:

  Listen 1.2.3.5:80
  NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80

  <VirtualHost 1.2.3.5:80>