[CentOS] resize2fs

Timo Neuvonen timo-news at tee-en.net
Tue Aug 30 05:23:37 UTC 2011

> I am trying to resize a centos (5.2) VM drive.  I use VMware and I have
> increased the size of the drive by 40G.  I am running resize2fs on
> /dev/sdb1 (which is my root partition)  but when I do I get this error:
>
> [root at centos ~]# resize2fs /dev/sdb1 120G
> resize2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> The containing partition (or device) is only 19970795 (4k) blocks.
> You requested a new size of 31457280 blocks.
>
> How can I change the block size?

Yo don't need to. But to increase the filesystem size, you'll need more
blocks, which means you'll first need to increase the size of the partition.
Thereafter, you resize the filesystem to use that free space. So, there are
two steps and now you are skipping step #1 and trying step #2 directly.

Here is some help:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions

--
TiN