[CentOS] 6.0 Media problems

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 19:20:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, ken wrote:

> It's refreshing to receive an on-topic, intelligent and civil response,
> one worthy of replying to.  And kudos for crafting this solution!

It's a bit faffy, and doing a yum install rather than an anaconda install
means there was a little bit more niggly setup left to do.  But I'd have no
worries about doing it this way.

> Can I ask, how long have you been running this configuration?

Not ages, but you're not going to see any problems from this kernel change.

> And have you noticed in this time any problems related to the non-PAE
> kernel?  Also, do you run server apps on your laptop, e.g.. apache, mysqld,
> sshd, cups, postfix, mailman?  It might be easier just to send the output of
> "chkconfig --list |grep -w on"... to me privately if you have security
> concerns.

You can happily run anything you like, we're only talking about disabling PAE.
You're limiting yourself to ~3Gbytes of RAM, but given my laptop's hardware
only supports 1.25Gbytes maximum, that's not really a problem.  Seriously,
it's going to be able to do exactly what any other non-PAE enabled
distribution would be able to do.

jh