[CentOS] OT: help with email list reading programs w/ best features to read the centos and other lists that can filter people etc

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Aug 31 13:46:15 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 09:25:06 AM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:46:53 AM R - elists wrote:
> <snip>
> > While I use Kmail (which can do very powerful filtering based on a number
> <snip>
> So how is kmail these days?

Kmail beats the Dickens out of me sometimes.... A tale of two mailreaders.... 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...'

It's been better (in ways), and it's been worse (much worse).  The Scalix integration quit working upon an upgrade to KDE4 (don't really miss it that much), and if you do a large and long search, be sure to do a short one before you quit kmail, as it will redo the search to populate the 'Searches' folder *every time you start* and not tell you that is what it is doing; it just feels like it has hung, for however long the search may take (and my mail store is, uh, 8.3GB currently) ...

At the KDE SC 4.6.x level, things are about as stable as they've ever been, once you get Akonadi and Nepomuk operable.  But this is the primary reason I'm somewhat loathe to go back down to KDE 4.3.4 in EL 6; I've forgotten what was broken at that level, and I'm used to what is currently working in F14.... which is partly why I'll periodically pop up and ask if anyone has done a KDE 4.6.x repo for EL6...

I'm at the moment happy with 1.13.7 that ships with KDE SC 4.6.5.  It's crashed the least of any kmail I've run, since a long time ago (I forget just when I went to kmail (from Netscape Communicator), but it was, IIRC, in KDE 1.x days).  I've kept essentially the same mailstore the whole time; it is a melange of maildir and mbox, depending upon how old the folder is... :-)