[CentOS] Iptables - flooding console

Mon Aug 1 19:23:42 UTC 2011
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:44 AM -0500 cbulist at gmail.com wrote:

> We are trying to track some specific rules using  LOG as target.
> Everything is working well but the problem is that iptables is flooding
> the console with LOG messages.

In addition to the other suggestions, you could switch to rsyslog, included
in CentOS base. It provides much more flexible filtering options. Add a
unique string to your iptables log lines and match on it to divert all of
its logs to a separate file (or virtual console).

After switching to rsyslog, my /var/log/messages rarely gets a new message,
as I've diverted everything to subsystem-specific log files. (Remember to
add logrotate entries for them so your disk doesn't fill up.)