[CentOS] CentOS 6 and IPv6 neighbor proxy

Thu Aug 18 15:10:02 UTC 2011
Helmut Drodofsky <drodofsky at internet-xs.de>

To route a subnet in ipv6 there are two possibilities:
-          add route commands for the subnet in each computer
-          or use neighbor proxy in the router server
I prefer neighbor proxy.

So I have to activate neighbor proxy in the router:
sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.proxy_ndp=1

and I have to add entries for each client in the subnet like
ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:0:0:1:211:d8ff:fe97:3273 dev eth0

This works well but is lost on reboot.

For the sysctl command there is /etc/sysctl.conf for permanent configuration.

If I create a file route-eth0 in the directory /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ with the above ip neighbor command, the interface eth0 is immediately down.

Restart of network brings:
Bringing up interface eth0:  Error: Unknown connection: 5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03.
                                                           [FAILED]
All Interfaces are NetworkManager controlled.

Ask for help:
-          where can I store the command for a permanent configuration?
-          Shall I not further use NetworkManager?

Thank you for help in advance

Helmut