[CentOS] mounting an ext3 filesystem "-o ro"

Mon Aug 29 14:18:54 UTC 2011
Philippe Naudin <philippe.naudin at supagro.inra.fr>

Hi,

I want to do something *bad* : to mount an already mounted ext3
partition.

Mounting "-o bind" is not an option, this partition is mounted by
different virtual machines. NFS is the right way to go, so I want
another one :-)

I have no problem mounting this partition read-only, but it seems
that actually it is not really read-only. From /var/log/messages :

Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
Aug 29 11:26:43 xen02 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

This recovery is probably triggered by the file /.autofsck, but I
have not found how to get rid of this feature. Is there a way to
read an ext3 filesystem, completely disabling recovery and any
write operation ?

Thanks,

--
Philippe Naudin