[CentOS] resize2fs

Tue Aug 30 02:54:38 UTC 2011
Ed Morrison <edward.morrison at gmail.com>

Hi All:

I am trying to resize a centos (5.2) VM drive.  I use VMware and I have
increased the size of the drive by 40G.  I am running resize2fs on
/dev/sdb1 (which is my root partition)  but when I do I get this error:

[root at centos ~]# resize2fs /dev/sdb1 120G
resize2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
The containing partition (or device) is only 19970795 (4k) blocks.
You requested a new size of 31457280 blocks.

How can I change the block size?

I have also tried to use gparted live cd but it will not allow me to
increase the size even though it sees 40g of unused space.  I can only
create a new partition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed