[CentOS] Two ftp clients? Why?

Tue Aug 2 23:06:53 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, its 'how can I repeat old mistakes' instead of learning from them or
> building on them.
>
> But back to the original problem, why would anyone use ftp in this
> century when rsync or http(s) are so much easier to manage?
>
>   Les Mikesell

While I understand the sentiment of "why use old stuff", this is still
a pretty ridiculous statement.  It takes not even 10 seconds to think
of situations where one would need to, such as interfacing with
*paying* clients, etc...

Instead of suggesting alternate technologies, it should be suggested
to not use an ftp client at all and instead use a scripting language,
such as perl or python, that has libraries meant for talking to these
protocols.  Their man pages pretty much show you how even if you don't
know the language.

The questionable thing is not using entrenched protocols, but using
old methods like redirecting ftp commands via STDIN into a client to
control it.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-