[CentOS] e-mail serving

Wed Aug 3 18:12:06 UTC 2011
Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com>

Google is your friend, but things to think about
1) distribution of receipt.  Don't make the mistake of 1,000,000/(24*60)
to spec your network and i/o capacity.  Depending on your taste, a
distributed file system using iscsi or one of the cluster filesystems
may be a good idea...
2) size of emails which may affect
3) inode configuration on the disk
4) DNS lookup times
5) SPAM processing load, but maybe you want the spam too

Really need to know what you mean by 'small budget' as well.  $100's or
$1,000's?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Todd wrote:

> I am  going to try an experiment with e-mail aggregation where I expect to
> receive over 1 million e-mails a day from public lists.
> Can anyone shed some light on hard disk space (to retain this e-mail for
> long periods) and system specs to be able to handle the load?
>
> I am looking to buy a low end box, but that can hold lots of RAM and
> accomodate a fair number of HD's to store the e-mail while I try my
> experiments.
>
> Can anyone provide some realistic specs while maintaining a small budget?
>
> -Jason

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.net
Thomas Paine