[CentOS] Two ftp clients? Why?

Wed Aug 3 19:15:47 UTC 2011
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 08:30:02 AM Brian Mathis wrote:
> > Wait - isn't that an alternative technology?!?
>
> No it's not, and you're making a stupid argument.  Clearly there is a
> difference between using a different client versus changing the entire
> protocol stack across all systems it's being used for.  Using a better
> client mechanism involves maybe an hour or so worth of work, while
> changing the entire protocol you're using requires changing every
> service on every server in every company you might be interfacing
> with.  One of those is easy to do, the other one is likely impossible.

As you make the point later, perl is a different technology than /usr/bin/ftp.
Both can use the same protocol.

> I find it strange and annoying that so many times the answers to
> questions like the OP's so often and so clearly miss the mark, as if
> no one here understands what's actually involved in implementing a new
> protocol stack across an enterprise or between enterprises.

We're all doing some different, you know? Some of us have to deal with arcane
"requirements" written by some midlevel bureaucrat. I prefer using sftp, scp,
or post/https for secure file transfers. More than once I've been forced to use
FTP for "security reasons", even after I try to explain otherwise.

> >> The questionable thing is not using entrenched protocols, but using
> >> old methods like redirecting ftp commands via STDIN into a client to
> >> control it.
>
> > /bin/sh is an "old method". TCP is pretty ancient, as well. For that
> > matter, UNIX is REALLY ancient. Yet somehow, they are not only still
> > useful, but highly relevant. Wheels are also old technology!
>
> See above, re: stupid argument.  If your objection is to the use of
> the word "old" as opposed to something like "error prone", please
> perform 's/old/error prone/g' in your head and save us the pixels.
> P.S. Something becomes "old" when it's been replaced by a newer,
> better way of doing things, not simply because of age.

I see this nowhere in the standard definition for "old".
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/old

> Redirecting commands into an ftp client (and, btw, I don't know if the
> OP is doing this, but it's still amazingly common) is a provably bad
> "old" method of doing things.  You cannot deal with error conditions
> or anything else that might come up.  Using a scripting
> language/library allows you to deal with these obvious problems.

You might consider becoming familiar with expect, perhaps?
# yum install expect;

> > I've been around the block long enough to know that those who are most
> > certain they have the right answer right away are usually those least
> > likely to have it. Science backs this conclusion up, it's called the
> > Dunning-Kruger effect.

Strange: no comment here?

believed to be clean.