[CentOS] CentOs6 - Ltsp

Mon Aug 8 15:52:43 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 8/8/2011 8:43 AM, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
>    Dear All,
>
> I'm sending this mail in relation to a post on the CentOs 6 forum :
>

> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32545&start=0#forumpost139559
>
> CentOs 6  works great so far, and I do not want to sound impatient, but
> I'm eager to find out when Ltsp would be
> available on CentOs6 - or even in Rhel6.
>
> We now use Kiwi-Ltsp on OpenSuse and there's a hot debate going on,
> everyone wants to switch to Ubuntu, I want to switch to CentOs.
>
> So any timeline would be very helpfull in this dogfight.

The project is looking for contributors to fund development:
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/2011FundDrive

And even with the basics working, it is going to be a problem that the
stock (and client) kernel is PAE-only.  I've always considered this an
interesting project and particularly liked the k12ltsp distribution up
through the CentOS5 based version that you can still find here:
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/5.0.0-EL-32bit/
There are a few quirks/conflicts when you update this to 5.6 but it can
still be done.

However, after that version it was moved into stock fedora packages for
subsequent development and broke due to fedora's fast changing nature.
I don't currently use any thin terminals, but if I did I'd probably
stick to the k12ltsp5EL version for booting for a while and perhaps try
to point the gdm login to a newer host.  Or for booting 'fat' clients
I'd look at drbl - or there may be a service included in Centos6 that
will work.  Or ubuntu might be the way to go since I think it still has
an i386 kernel, or at least non-PAE.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com