[CentOS] CentOS 6 kernel update and grub.conf...

Tue Aug 9 01:21:40 UTC 2011
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

> Whenever there's a kernel update on my system, the new kernel packages are
> installed, and the grub.conf file does not get updated. Which is THE WAY I
> want it to be. I never did like the way grub.conf got updated behind my
> back, so to speak, after a kernel update.
>
> Now I don't need to worry about a new kernel busting anything, as the
> previous working kernel will be booted, even after a kernel update.

I haven't followed this thread too closely, but if you set
UPDATEDEFAULT=no
in /etc/sysconfig/kernel .. the new kernel will be installed, grub will be
modified, but the default line which is used to choose the default kernel
will *NOT* be updated.

Barry