[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Tue Aug 9 22:35:05 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need to setup a real bare minimum CentOS Virtual Machine, but with
>> normal internet / network access. i.e. I need SSH, Mutt, Links, lynx,
>> ping, tracert, dig, iptables, etc.
>>
>> Does anyone know where (if?) I can get a list of applications which
>> gets installed with CentOS 6 if every option is deselected in the
>> installer so that I can see what I can remove which isn't really
>> necessary once installed?
> ----
> do you mean as in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg ?
>
> Craig

Craig, yes, and no. I am actually looking for a list of software
packages that can be removed without breaking the running OS. like for
example bluez-libs or cronie-anacron which isn't necessarily needed
for a bare-minimum system to run.

I honestly don't just want to delete stuff that I don't know if it
could break something, so I was hoping maybe someone knows of a list
(on a wiki / blog / etc) that has a really bare minimum list of
software that needs to be on a server to function.

I could install anything else later on if I need to though.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com