[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Tue Aug 9 23:33:13 UTC 2011
Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:

> I need to setup a real bare minimum CentOS Virtual Machine, but with
> normal internet / network access. i.e. I need SSH, Mutt, Links, lynx,
> ping, tracert, dig, iptables, etc.
>
> Does anyone know where (if?) I can get a list of applications which
> gets installed with CentOS 6 if every option is deselected in the
> installer so that I can see what I can remove which isn't really
> necessary once installed?

Kickstart minimal:
either
%packages --nobase
@Core
or
%packages
@Base

I'm not sure what's installed when you don't select anything in
Anaconda but if you have such an install you can compare the output of
"rpm -qa" with "yum groupinfo Core" and "yum groupinfo Base".