[CentOS] Two Samba Servers and Rsync

Wed Aug 10 13:03:45 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 8/10/11 1:20 AM, Railic Njegos wrote:
> I plan to use copy as backup, because second server will be old
> physical computer(about 2TB disk)
> in remote office and first server will be virtual machine on storage.
> On first server i plan to
> have one folder where i plan to copy over rsync all files from second server.

That plan will work, but it won't protect against things like accidental
deletions or overwriting important files that aren't noticed until after the
next rsync run wipes out your copy.  Backuppc or a similar backup framework can
keep a history of copies online and cover both scenarios.  Backuppc is
particularly nice in that it's compression and pooling makes it not use a lot of
space for the history and it provides a web interface for browsing the backups
and restoring - and you can download files directly from the browser if you
want.  2TB is a lot to copy remotely, though.  You may want to use some other
means to get the initial copy over - like copying to an external drive. Once the
first copy is in place rsync will only need to copy the changes.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com