[CentOS] ffmpeg

Thu Aug 11 17:25:59 UTC 2011

Brandon Ooi wrote:
> I work with ffmpeg a lot. I recommend that you don't try to build the rpms
> which are constantly out of date. ffmpeg is a moving target so I recommend
> compiling it from git. It's relatively easy and you can find most of the
<snip>

Not to be insulting, but I *wish* folks would read everything I wrote.

 I have a number of machines with motion running. I have one, now, that's
on CentOS 6. We do *not* want to be building and packaging for each
machine, for each new kernel. We *really* just want to use yum to install
compiled packages.

Now, so far, motion, and ffmpeg, are not available for 6.
rpmfusion/updates/free/testing has faad2. I don't see ffmpeg, much less
motion. So I'm stuck trying to work from an 5 repository for ffmpeg. I've
already, unwillingly, gotten the tarball for motion, but can't install
ffmpeg and ffmpeg-libs from EL5, because of the dependency on libfaad.so.0
(cf, "dependency hell") I don't *seem* to be drawing the libfaad from 5
via yum, which I guess is my problem.

And I *am* under orders as to what repositories are acceptable, and which
are not.

        mark, with enough work to do to not want to rebuild from git