[CentOS] ffmpeg

Thu Aug 11 18:29:30 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, August 11, 2011 01:05:46 PM Brandon Ooi wrote:
> I work with ffmpeg a lot. I recommend that you don't try to build the rpms
> which are constantly out of date. ffmpeg is a moving target so I recommend
> compiling it from git.

This breaks, with regularity, ZoneMinder for one.  I successfully built and am using ZoneMinder 1.24.2 with the rpmforge ffmpeg rpms, at the moment.  (yeah, I know 1.24.4 is out, and I'll build that eventually....)

I'd much rather take a known working source RPM, and if I'm going to compile out of git then I'm going to create a proper tarball from which I can build from the source RPM so that when updates come down for libraries that ffmpeg depends upon things won't break because the package manager doesn't know about the dependency.

Even compiling out of git, using packages gives you a better chance of not hitting update-breaks-things disease.  I say a better chance; it's not 100%, but it's better than 0%, which is what compiling out of git without package management will give you.

And, IMHO, important packages should not be moving targets, even with version numbers less than 1.0.  OpenSSL was one like that, and it was a nightmare.