[CentOS] OT: headless fanless silent 2 HDs micro server/pc...

Thu Aug 11 19:04:05 UTC 2011
Emmett Culley <emmett at webengineer.com>

On 08/11/2011 03:38 AM, John Doe wrote:
> From: Digimer<linux at alteeve.com>
>
>> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15351-15351-4237916-4237918-4237917-4248009.html
>
> It looks quite nice, although a tiny bit too big for me (no real need the room for 4 HDs + 1 HD or DVD).
> Saw that one guy was able to install a Smart Array P410 with 512MB BBC too (too bad the drives are not hot-plug).
> And there is a remote management optional card (if it fits along the P410) which is great since I have no monitor at home.
> Just wondering how noisy 23dbs are... I tend to be very sensitive to noise, especially at night.
>

> From: Emmett Culley<emmett at webengineer.com>
>> Check out the Supermicro X7SPA and X7SPE motherboards.
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA-H-D525.cfm
>> I am running CentOS 5.6 and CentOS 6 x86_64 on them.
>
> The fake raid says "RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support (Windows Only)"... did you install a RAID card?
> Did you find a nice low profile/noise case for it?
>

> Thx,
> JD
I use Linux software raid, and never hardware raid :-)

I use this case for most of our deployments:

http://www.casetronic.com/product_d.php?id=0000000078

Though I am testing with this one now, as it supports two hard drives and has room inside for an and-in card.

http://www.casetronic.com/product_d.php?id=0000000071

Emmett