[CentOS] cr repository when running your own mirror

Tue Aug 16 10:30:45 UTC 2011
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

On 08/16/2011 11:27 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/16/2011 08:45 AM, Christian Anthon wrote:
>> what is the right way to deal with the new cr repository for centos 5
>> when you are running your own mirror. In particular the following
>> statement I don't fully understand:
>
> The reason why we only have baseurl pointing to mirror.centos.org is
> that we dont expect cr/ to be around for a long time. I think its a safe
> assumption that 5.7 should be ready for release in a few days time from
> here.

Is it really worth the hassle to add and remove the repo just to get the
packages a few days early?

>> - Once 5.7 is released, the 5.6/cr/ repositories will be removed ( they
>> will not be available on vault.centos.org )
>
> The CR only contains rpms from the next-release, so once that release is
> online we want to drop the CR/ completely and have everyone move over (
> via a yum update ) to using the new rpms in 5.7/; it also means that
> there will be no continued updates to the 5.6/cr/ once 5.7 is around and
> online.
>
> Let me know if any of that isnt very clear and I will try to explain in
> more details

What bugs me about this is the manual overhead for adding and removing the
repo on the systems. I presume when TUV 5.8 gets released and I want to be
up-to-date I have to add the CentOS cr repo again and then remove it when
CentOS 5.8 is out?

Why not create a repo "5cr" that can be enabled once and never be removed?
Once 5.7 is out you can simply clear that repo on the server side which
essentially means users will pick up the packages from the 5.7 release
repo. Then once the 5.8 updates come in you can put them into the 5cr repo
again starting a new rolling release cycle.

That way people interested in the rolling release would only have to enable
this only once on their systems and stay on this rolling release train
until they deliberately deactivate the repo again.

Regards,
   Dennis