[CentOS] SAS storage arrays, C6, and SES lights

Thu Aug 18 10:51:46 UTC 2011
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 07:03:01AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 08/16/11 12:59 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > ie. you need a daemon/tool that monitors status of disks,
> > and keeps the Linux disk<->  ses slot mapping up-to-date.
>
> i'm amazed this doesn't exist.   isn't this a really common problem with
> storage arrays?

It is. I guess that's one of the reasons why many people still use hardware RAID adapters..
(firmware of the hardware RAID adapter takes case of the SES/LED management.)

Someone should start an opensource project to build this kind of management daemon
for software RAID on Linux. It's not very difficult.. someone just has to do it :)

The only solution that I'm aware right now is Linux dm-raid..
I think it can handle some LEDs on some chassises. But that's implemented in kernel-driver..

-- Pasi