[CentOS] Centos Gotcha: YUM Groupinstall

Thu Aug 18 10:53:48 UTC 2011
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have encountered a situation with YUM that isn't what I expected.
>
> Let's suppose I want to install a group, call it G.  My first
> question would be -- is the group already installed.  Realize all of
> this is scripted.
>
> So, I use
>    yum groupinfo
> and I see the list of installed groups, and those not yet installed.
>
> If group G is in the list of installed groups, one would think that
> there's no point in issuing a "groupinstall".
>
> But, to my surprise, a group can be listed as "installed", only to
> find that a groupinstall will actually do a lot of installs.
>
> So, I had to adapt my script to perform a "groupinfo G", parse the
> modules, and individually test them to see if they need installation.
>
> I do not understand this behavior -- group G is shown as "installed",
> but it really isn't.

If you need the group installed, why not just issue the 'yum
groupinstall' - if all the RPMS are already installed, then yum does
nothing - if not, it will install what you need - i.e. yum will do what
you need without extra scripting.

James Pearson