[CentOS] using posfix on the local LAN, with internet FQDN

Thu Aug 18 13:01:14 UTC 2011
Spook ZA <spookza at gmail.com>

Hi Rudy

On 18 August 2011 14:49, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope someone can help me with this please.
>

> One of our clients has an in-house Postfix mailserver which basically
> downloads mail for the individual users from our mail server hosted on
> the web using fetchmail.
> They use our SMTP server to send mail. Their email clients are then
> setup to get & send mail from the server, on 192.168.2.254 (for POP3 &
> SMTP).  All mail between them on the local LAN gets send to each other
> via the server, and not the internet.
>
> This works quite well, but as soon as someone sends mail from the
> Linux server directly (it has webmin + usermin installed and has a
> basic webmail interface for when they're out of the office) it sends
> mail using the local machine name, instead of the domain name.
> for example, mail comes from esther at ser001.rewards.local.
>
> How do I tell Postfix to automaticlly send mail from
> <user>@<theirdomain.com> instead?

This comes straight out of the main.cf file and may be of some assistance:

# INTERNET HOST AND DOMAIN NAMES
#
# The myhostname parameter specifies the internet hostname of this
# mail system. The default is to use the fully-qualified domain name
# from gethostname(). $myhostname is used as a default value for many
# other configuration parameters.
#
#myhostname = host.domain.tld
#myhostname = virtual.domain.tld

# The mydomain parameter specifies the local internet domain name.
# The default is to use $myhostname minus the first component.
# $mydomain is used as a default value for many other configuration
# parameters.
#
#mydomain = domain.tld

# SENDING MAIL
#
# The myorigin parameter specifies the domain that locally-posted
# mail appears to come from. The default is to append $myhostname,
# which is fine for small sites.  If you run a domain with multiple
# machines, you should (1) change this to $mydomain and (2) set up
# a domain-wide alias database that aliases each user to
# user at that.users.mailhost.
#
# For the sake of consistency between sender and recipient addresses,
# myorigin also specifies the default domain name that is appended
# to recipient addresses that have no @domain part.
#
#myorigin = $myhostname
myorigin = $mydomain
#myorigin = $myhostname

> Sorry for asking this, but I don't know Postfix very well and don't
> know what to call to, to search on google.
>
> --
> Kind Regards
> Rudi Ahlers
> SoftDux