[CentOS] which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

Thu Aug 18 19:01:29 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Let's try again:

I need to automatically block any user who abuses bandwidth, either
incoming or outgoing. I should be able to set the limits, in either
rate/s or usage/s: 1Mb/s or 10GB/h, for example.

Then, any users, connecting from anywhere, on any IP should be blocked
- either if he uploads or downloads (i.e ingres & outgres) for a
specific amount of time.

My research:

The firewalls which we've tried (both normal Linux iptables and
hardware based firewalls) can do this, as long as I can specify the
IP's to block - this is standard for an office-type firewall.
BUT, I don't have a range of IP's to specify since these particular
servers are on the internet, thus any possible IP on the net could
connect to the server.

I also need to exclude certain IP's from this rule (i.e. for backup
servers which actually need to transfer a lot of traffic).

To some degree this would mean "traffic accounting", but that just
keeps a log of traffic usage. And we already measure traffic use with
cacti & SNMP. Cacti can send us an email if a certain amount of
bandwidth is used up, but it doesn't tell the firewall to block the
offending IP address.

DDOS protection type firewalls doesn't help much either since they
only block incoming "attacks", but not really normal uploads. They
also don't block outgoing traffic once the condition is met.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com