[CentOS] which firewall to automatically block bandwidth abusers?

Thu Aug 18 19:31:17 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Mike <mike at microdel.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Let's try again:
>>

>> I need to automatically block any user who abuses bandwidth, either
>> incoming or outgoing. I should be able to set the limits, in either
>> rate/s or usage/s: 1Mb/s or 10GB/h, for example.
>>
>> Then, any users, connecting from anywhere, on any IP should be blocked
>> - either if he uploads or downloads (i.e ingres & outgres) for a
>> specific amount of time.
>>

> As one might imagine there is at least one commercial product that seems
> to fit the bill.
>
> http://www.aspirantinfotech.com/downloads/Cyberoam/pdf/Managing-bandwidth-the-User-based-approach.pdf
>
> I mention this as I thought it was well written and thorough.  After
> reading the pdf seems to me there ought to be something open source based
> upon perhaps this:  http://lartc.org/lartc.html
>
> Anyway maybe some food for thought.

Thanx. We already tried the cyberoams, but they didn't work as
expected since they manage bandwidth on a per-user basis, and our
"users" come from the world-wide-web.

I have read through that document link on
http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN1393 and the closest I could get is
rate limiting, but that doesn't actually block the IP if it goes over
a certain threshold, it just slows everything down.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com